At least 95 people killed in an overnight attack on ethnic Dogan Village, Mali. 19 others went missing after armed men attacked the village.
The mayor, Ali Dolo mentioned that the gunmen entered the area during midnight. They started with firing shots and then setting the village on fire. He believed that Fulani men carried out the attack.
“Nineteen others were missing after the attack on Monday,” the government said in a statement.
Dogon hunters and Fulani herders have had a lot of clashes like these over access to water and land. Hundreds of people have lost lives including an attack in March. Armed men in March killed 134 Fulani people, including women and children.
The mayor also said that ninety-five bodies had been counted among the village’s 300 residents.
Both sides claim to have been targets of ethnic attacks by the other. They have claimed hundreds of lives previously.
“Armed men, apparently Fulani, fired at the population and burnt the village,” said Siriam Kanoute, an official for the nearby town of Bandiagara.
A Malian security source at the site of the massacre said, “a Dogon village has been virtually wiped out”.
The UN mission in Mali(MINUSMA), on May 16 announced it had recorded “at least 488 deaths” in attacks on Fulanis in the central regions of Mopti and Segou since January 2018.
“The attackers also targeted animals and burned down houses,” the government statement said. They added, “an investigation was underway.”
— Horizon Intelligence (@_hozint) June 10, 2019
A survivor, namely Amadou Togo, told the AFP news agency “about 50 heavily armed men arrived on motorbikes and pickups”.
“They first surrounded the village and then attacked,” Togo said. Adding that they killed anyone who tried to escape.
“Some people had their throats cut or were disemboweled. They torched grain stores and cattle. No one was spared – women, children, elderly people.”