If you have been to Saudi Arabia, you have probably tried the legendary Al-Baik Broast. This fast food chain sells succulent and juicy chicken along with other items, but the chicken is king. Now, the secret Al-Baik recipe has been leaked and you can try it out for yourself!
There are two recipes to choose from and both promise to leave you with the original Al-Baik taste!
1 cup corn flour
2 eggs (beaten)
1 kg chicken with skin (prick it with a fork first)
5 cups self-rising flour
Ingredients for the marinade:
2 tbsp. lemon juice
4 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
5 tsp. cinnamon powder
2 tbsp. paprika powder
1 tbsp. salt
1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and then pour over chicken. Leave the chicken to soak and marinade for around 4-6 hours so the flavor seeps through
2. Mix the corn flour and self-rising flour together in a separate bowl.
3. Dip the marinated chicken into the beaten eggs mixture and then coat with the flour mix. Finish this with all the pieces of chicken and let rest for a few minutes. Repeat this step to ensure a thick coating.
4. Deep fry the chicken on low heat and keep frying until the chicken is golden brown on the outside.
5. When you serve, you can set dips of your choice with the chicken.
Voila! This recipe sounds pretty easy to follow and does not require a lot of complicated ingredients. It also seems the secret ingredient to the Al-Baik chicken might be the touch of cinnamon. Traditional chicken recipes do not call for that particular ingredient but since Al-Baik chicken has so many loyal fans, their secret is clearly working!
And now, on to the next recipe.
Recipe #2: The Chef Zakir Qureshi Al-Baik recipe
1 whole chicken (with skin left intact)
2 cups plain flour
1 cup corn flour
5 tsp. red food color
1 tbsp. ginger paste
2 tbsp. garlic paste
5 tsp cinnamon powder
4 tbsp. olive oil
4 tbsp. red chili powder
Cooking oil (to fry)
Salt (to taste)
1. Cut the chicken into eight pieces but make sure that the skin stays on. The chicken will be much crunchier and tastier with skin on.
2. Next, mix together the cinnamon powder, lemon juice, chili powder, olive oil and salt. Fill this mixture into a syringe.
3. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, ginger and garlic paste and set aside for some time.
4. Mix both the plain flour and corn flour in a separate bowl.
5. Beat the eggs and keep them aside as well.
6. Now dip the chicken into the eggs mixture and coat with the flour. Rest for some time and repeat this process to make sure chicken has an even and thick coating of the mixture.
7. Take your filled syringe and full the chicken pieces with the mixture.
8. Start frying the chicken pieces for approx. 10-15 minutes in a covered pan with a lid.
9. Fry until the chicken is golden brown.
Both these recipes have been provided by professional chefs who have tried them out. Al-Baik Broast has become so popular that they recently opened up a new branch in Riyadh, KSA as well. The fast food chain already exists in Jeddah, Makkah and Madina and is steadily growing. Fans who have been clamoring to get their hands on the chicken but cannot travel to KSA will love these recipes!